30-12-2013

2013 was pretty fucking kind of alright

It's the end of the year and here's what I think ruled this year. You can download the songs here.

Fausto - Shin Punch
Hands down my favourite hardcore act of the year. They put out an EP of sorts. I saw them play and it was a lot of fun. Not necessarily serious, but very good. Shin Punch is my jam.

Outline - Final Call
One of the better Belgian releases of the year, Tombs. A couple of well-crafted melodic hardcore songs. I spent a couple days on a UK tour with these guys and they are the coolest. I love their music and I love their persons.

Ed Wood - Talking To The Void
I got an e-mail to review their split with Monolithian early in the year, then saw them play, met them and fell in love with all of them. Amazing band, amazing split, but they've broken up since a few weeks so that sucks.

Jabber - 200 Days
This is without any question the best song of 2013 and maybe ever. I have never loved a song so much as I love this one. Well, perhaps I have, but I am seriously infatuated. If I could ask a song out, I'd ask this one. It makes me feel all sorts of stuff but mostly I just wanna sing along, dance along and play along to it. Incredible. I think this is supposed to be on a split with Mixtapes next year.

Jabber - All I Wanted
Included for reference as to how amazing this band is. The physical release of their EP only saw light of day in 2013 I think, but it was digitally available in 2012, so that's not included here.

Lipstick Homicide - I Hope You Die
They released Out Utero which is incredible, I saw them play twice which was incredible. Tightest live band around, and one the fastest pop punk records of the year. I love singing along to this, cause I hope most people die.

Off With Their Heads - Shirts
My favourite song on Home. Home is incredible.

Mixtapes - Like Glass
I had a serious relentless crush on Mixtapes when they put out Maps and adored everything they put out since. I was less in love with Even On The Worst Nights but Ordinary Silence seems to hit the spot once again. Like Glass is probably the best song they've ever written. Lyrically super strong.

The Murderburgers - My Inner Mental Room
Just come and talk to me about this record. I love everything about the Murderburgers and These Are Only Problems. This song, the last one on it, hits pretty hard. Something with full circles and catharsis.

High Dive - Square One
I got into High Dive because of Ryan Woods of Defiance, Ohio fame, and I stayed a fan because they're amazing. The These Are Days EP is incredible power pop punk. I talked to them about their ideas and they're super cool people. Their set at Fest was infallible.

Boys - Long Walk
I listened to Boys because some band generally suggested them on some social media. They're super good. And this is only a demo. It's been released as a tape by Brassneck/WWSBD? and will be available as 7" through Bloated Kat, plus they self-released a CD-R of it. Buy all of it. It's that good. They're equally cute and bad-ass.

Like Bats - A More Enlightened Kind Of Fly
Like Bats is arguably the best band ever. I was so glad I could see them twice in the US. They put out this new song on some comp this year. I bet their next record is gonna be rad and it's gonna make me want to kill myself. That's good.
Honorable mention for Song Two which accompanied me on many a sad summer night this year.

Be My Doppelganger - The Smartest Kid In The World Takes A Break
They've strayed away from their 3 chord pop punk image with their new record. It's an amazing collection of essentially punk-based rock'n'roll songs and this particular song hits nails on the head as no song ever did before. Artless is a true work of art, and I'm excited to finally actually get it in the mail some time cause that's been dragging on for so long, heh.

UPDATE: I was supposed to include Off The Charts as well, but I forgot to add the file to the mix. Just listen to their record.

UPDATE #2: I totally forgot to include Muncie Girls. But they're like the best band in the world, so I just assumed that was a given.

Additional mentions for the Punchlines (or was that also 2012?), Direct Hit! and Esoteric Youth, who would have been included but I don't have immediate access to MP3 files of their songs right now.
I also listened to True Things way too much in 2013.
I put out an album myself as well, by the way.

Lots of personal stuff happened but nobody cares. At least you shouldn't care. Unless we're friends. Then you should care.

See you on the flip side, babes.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten